Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Quiet Book Week - Some of the Details / Case

One of the most frustrating things I found when I was researching other peoples quiet books was that they didn't include a lot of the details just the pages. A quiet book is much more than just simply the pages so here is some information about the structure.

I made each finished page 10x10, which now looking back is too small. I would recommend going 11x11 or even 12x12. While mine works it would have been nice to have a little more room to play with. I felt that some pages (the Nativity & Ammon) were a little scrunched on there. I cut each page at 11x11 and gave myself a 1/2" seam allowance. 

To make my pages stiff I lined each one with extra heavy interfacing.  Just remember to match your bobbin thread to the page on the back!

There are several ways for one to finish the edges. I thought the funnest way would be with Ric Rac. It was quick and simple and I think it looks amazing but I may be a little biased. 

I then edge stitched around each page to keep it nice a crisp.

I wanted to add grommets so I could add or take out pages as I saw fit. I really do not think our child will need to have an 18 page quiet book to play with at church. Some of the pages are a little old for her as well so I wanted to have the option of leaving them at home. This also helps keep the book fun and new by not including the same pages every week.

I made a case for my book as well. I wanted to keep it safe and with all of the detachable parts I didn't want any of the pieces to get lost in transportation. I am thinking about adding a handle but for now, this is good :).

As you can see all of the seams are in cased. This took a little bit of mental labor on Mom Toblers part (thanks Mom!!!). I didn't want any raw edges showing and this way I really think it looks finished. 

I added a zipper to, like I said, keep everything together. After spending countless hours on something like this I may be a little over protective. Really I think this thing belongs behind glass on display. ;) 

I used sports zippers so they could come undone and the book can lay nice and flat on the kids laps. 

My favorite feature... the zipper pocket. Like I said in a few of my page posts, lots of the pieces are hidden in here. They added too much bulk on the page and this extra large pocket is the perfect place to keep everything nice and flat and easily accessible for those tiny hands.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely awesome ideas! You thought it theu and covered many areas I had concerns about! Thanks!

Brianne said...

I love your zippered case. It looks really nice. I'm almost done with my quiet book pages and would love to do a case similar to yours. Do you have any sort of pattern?

Stephanie Tobler said...

Brianne,

I so wish that I had made up a pattern! It was one of those... stand there and stare at it until it makes sense sort of things. I remember that we ended up turning it through the zipper pocket then stitching the zipper pocket shut. Currently I do not have a pattern but I am in the process of making my third quiet book and will for sure be making a case. I will post a link when it is complete. I'm sorry I can't be more help.

Jschwind22 said...

Curious if you ever made a tutorial for the case? I really want one with a zipper but need some instructions!

Stephanie Tobler said...

Still working on it! So many projects this year! Hopefully I will have one made up for you guys this summer once I complete me current quiet book!

Unknown said...

Hi amazing help thank you. Havent been able to find patternd explaining how to.

Karen said...

This is exactly the information I have been looking for...how to put it all together. Thank you sew much. Wondering if you have made a pattern for the zippered case that you would be willing to share.

Stephanie Tobler said...

Hello Karen Yes, I have the pattern available in my Etsy shop. https://www.etsy.com/listing/540408850/quiet-book-case-pattern :)

Unknown said...

I agree, it is nice to see the finished product but great to get the construction details. Thank you it looks lovely. Great idea to make a case!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...