Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

50's Dress


... well the late 50's early 60's. For a long time now I have wanted to sew something more than P.J. pants and quilts, I have wanted to make a dress. My mission: Find a pattern that doesn't need to be altered to become modest. I had my work cut out for me boy. Over the past 2 years I have progressively become cheaper and cheaper so naturally I went to Wal-Mart and started my search in the 1.99 pattern bin. I found a cute dress but I had to add sleeves. "No problem" I thought, "My mother-in-law is a seamstress". Little did I know how much work it took to just "whip" something up. I learned a lot along the way and over the course of two days and with a lot of help from dear Mom Tobler I am now the proud owner of a modest yet fabulously classy dress.

I didn't take a single picture of me sewing. At the time I was putting in my very first zipper is when Mom T started to click photos. In the above photo you can see the frustration in my face... I abhor doing hems. I ALWAYS end up rolling them. Clearly this is something that comes with patience and practice and at 10:00 p.m. on day two I had neither. After 4 1/2 hours of struggling with the sleeves I let Mom Tobler take the reins. She really is a super seamstress.

Haza! Here is the final product! I will probably wear it every day for the next week. I've already planned my next one but I have some skirts to alter a bit first. More 50's style and even better yet.. once upon a time they belong to my grandmother. Oh I'm getting sidetracked again.. back to my dress.

I love...

... love...

...LOVE it!! I had to throw this picture in just because I think it is adorable and even though you can't really tell... I'm wearing red shoes. I can't wait for my next dress! I think I've started something I cannot contain!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...