Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

"Tie" Dye

No Joke! I found this marvelous idea on uCreate. It originally came from a little old lady featured on Martha Stewart. How do people come up with these sorts of things?

Supplies: SILK ties (We tried to bend the rules and it didn't work... go with silk)
An Old Pillow Case
1/4 c. Vinegar
Eggs (Raw)
Some Fabulous Friends!

Step 1: Purchase some "egg" looking ties. We got ours at Good Will and D.I for 2.00 each. For next year I'll simply scout out yard sales.


Step 2: Destroy the ties. Cut it along the seams and remove the padding & lining.


Side Note: Meet Jenna and Courtney. They are the fabulous friends I listed as supplies. Love them!


Step 3: With silky side IN wrap egg as tight as you can without breaking it. Secure with string. twist tie, or rubber band. Do yourself a favor and go with the rubber band :). Eventually your pieces will get too small to wrap around, in that case whip out your sweing machine and stitch some multicolored ones.

Oh these babies make my heart sing.


Step 4: To avoid running to your husbands favorite pillow and cutting up the pillow case, I would suggest buying one at D.I or Good Will. For us girls however, Jakob's pillowcase was simply more efficient. Wrap up those little eggs a second time tight, tight, tight.


Step 5: Bring 1/4 cup vinegar and some water to a boil and place eggs in. Fill enough to cover eggs. Boil for 20 minutes.


Step 6: Remove from boiling water and let sit until cool enough to handle. We stuck ours outside on the porch to speed up the process.


Step 7: Reveal... Oh we were SO exited!


Presto!


What we would have done differently:
-I think next time I'll add more vinegar for a better vinegar to egg ratio.
-I would also use 100% silk ties. Those colors transferred better.
-I'd wrap them much tighter

Some eggs didn't turn out so we had no choice but to eat them!

Hope yours turn out great. Let me know how it went for you. I'd love to see some pictures! Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...